Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After

Today has been named "Black Friday" by those marketing folks out in the corporate offices. For many of us, it's a day to shop....however, not moi!! I hate shopping to start with and especially the day after Thanksgiving. Ugh. Oh, I know it's a tradition for many people but not us. Gene did go to Walle-Marte this morning to get a couple of things but he said it wasn't crowded or crazy. Still no reason for me to head into town. I'm home on the range cleaning up after our wild Thanksgiving day dinner party.

Did I say "wild".... well, not really...just a fun time. We had 7 guests over and it was wonderful. First of all the weather was gorgeous...sunny (of course) and warm. Had the windows open all day - up until about 7 p.m. nice breeze coming in. The house was filled with new friends and lots of good food. Everyone brought food -our menu - green bean casserole, Jell-O salad, taco dip/chips, tortilla rolls (cream cheese, olives and green chile - yummo!), fresh rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, French apple pie, ice cream, turkey and dressing/stuffing. Plus a wee bit of the grape - red and white!! I got a Diestel turkey from the health food store and I think it is the best turkey I've ever eaten. 15.88 lbs...and not much left... I didn't stuff it...just washed it out and rubbed the inside with salt and then rubbed the outside with olive oil and salt. Turned out moist and tasty, if I do say so myself! (See attached picture for proof) Managed to find china and crystal and silverware for 9 guests...Gene got to use the "odd" dinner plate as we only have 8 dinner plates of our china and I wasn't about to unpack all the other china. And as is a custom at our house, the women may cook the food but the men clean up afterwards...or at least clean off the table. So when I announced that tradition to our guests, the guys all stood up and did just that. Patrick even started washing dishes. (Yes, we have no dishwasher) and I am not sure who wiped them... it was fun for us ladies as we got to sit down in the living room and see all the stuff Ann brought back from the Houston quilt show.

Oh, yes, you can't have a party at our house without talking quilts. Ann and Karyl are both quilters and Betty sat and relaxed and watched us. Ann had gone to Houston with a friend and bought all sorts of wonderful necessary items from many vendors. She also took two classes - one from Judith Baker Montano and the other from Libby Lehman.

So Thanksgiving was great...today we're putting the house back together - and generally just hanging around the house. I guess I should go out and plant my tulip and daffodil bulbs before the forecasted winter storm hits this weekend. Now that should be interesting - see how accurate the weather people are around here. Snow and/or rain would be welcomed. Stay tuned!!

No comments: