Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hummer in our Yard


Nope, not the Hummer SUV but the little tiny hummingbird! Many of them. We put out a feeder yesterday afternoon and within an hour we had 6 or 7 of those little dive-bombers fighting for the food. I'm not sure where they have been feeding until yesterday, but since then they've been entertaining, and irritating, us for a day! There seem to be two species but I haven't identified them yet...maybe because they won't stay still long enough. But we'll figure it out soon... our neighbors know more about them so we'll ask them what kind of HB they are. It's amazing to see how fast the food is disappearing..I read somewhere that they require so many calories a day, that if a normal size person ate that many it would be equal to 285 lbs of hamburger. And for a bit of info from Wikipedia:
Hummingbirds do not spend all day flying, as the energy cost would be prohibitive; the majority of their activity consists simply of sitting or perching. Hummingbirds feed in many small meals, consuming many small invertebrates and up to five times their own body weight in nectar each day. They spend an average of 10-15% of their time feeding and 75-80% sitting and digesting.

I'm hoping to get some better pictures of these creatures but so far they are not cooperating..Stay tuned..............

No comments: