
Doesn't that sound like fun? Fifty women armed with automatic, semi-automatic, black powder, shotguns, rifles and other weapons are heading into the New Mexico wilderness the end of September...and I'm among them!! Yup, bet you didn't think this city girl would be part of the NRA!! First of all, I grew up in the wilderness of northern Minnesota and camped out in the woods often... learned to fish at a very young age and although I never hunted deer etc, I could shoot a gun! So in some ways, I'm returning to my youth!! HA!!
The NRA Whittington Center is north of us and consists of 33,000 acres in the Sangre de Christos mountains and the high mesa country of northeastern NM. This 9-day escape will be great fun, me thinks. I get to get up at 0600 and have "lights-out" at 2200 hours. And in between we'll be shooting small bore rifles, scoped/tactical carbines, long-range high power rifles, pistol, historic firearms (nope, not the Sharps) and archery too. Also heard that this year they'll have automatic weapons too! Plus classes in star gazing, GPS navigation, survival training and who knows what else. Plus, if the weather cooperates, we'll be going on a camping trip into the mountains. Sleeping in tents and sleeping bags! My Girl Scout training is finally going to come in handy!!
Now, those of you who don't approve of the NRA can come down from your soap box... I am not joining the NRA (not required) and don't plan to buy a gun... just going out to have fun and enjoy shooting at little white paper targets and experience the wilderness down here. Gene is thrilled that I want to do this. I'll proably end up on some terrorist list after learning how to use all those firearms.So, that's the plan for Sept 24 - Oct 2. We have to wear sturdy closed toe shoes or boots, full-length pants, full-length (past the waist) shirts with high neck or closeable collar and a firm-brimmed hat (I think I'll borrow Gene's "Bad Ass Coffee Company" hat - it's me!!)
No cell phone reception there and I'll be leaving the laptop at home too. And the things they said NOT to bring: Pets, children, spouses or significant others!!
http://www.nrahq.org/women/2008_escape_scrapbook.pdf
http://huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=1086
No comments:
Post a Comment