Saturday, July 25, 2009

Rocks





Today Gene started on the cactus/rock garden in our "turning circle" - our lane comes up to the house and you can drive around in a circle (more oval) to the house and out the lane again. There are pinon pines, ponderosa pines, a blue spruce and several junipers there now, along with some yuccas and various other ground cover type plants. We found a big pile of rocks out in the acreage and hired a guy today to move them all up to the circle. Frank was running a little late this morning and even called to let us know he would be about 10 minutes late - that's a good thing.

So he brought a Bobcat along and they moved all the rocks into the circle... including two great big ones that Gene sort of stood on end and put into a bit of a hole - they will be at the top of the garden. He is going to make a cactus garden in there with a dry-stream bed of river rock. And then he'll move some of the trees around and add different kinds of native plants and more cactus. He has a vision for it and I have to admit I have trouble imagining it, but I know it'll turn out really cool!! He was going to move "my" Blue Spruce but I've convinced him it's in the perfect place right now and it's too big to move. I won that one but the rest is up to him. I love the spruce (there is another one in the garden by the back gate) and I'm hoping we can put Christmas lights on both of them in a few months. Actually lighting all the trees in the circle will be really nice.

So while Gene was moving rocks and staying clear of the snakes they saw, I took myself to Santa Fe. Wanted to go to Target and Home Depot and a few other stores we don't have here. And of course, I just happened to find the quilt shop too. Used the GPS but found that "she" had no clue where anything was!! Told me to take the wrong exit off I-25, so I ended up nearly in downtown Santa Fe, which would have been fine any other day but that was not on my agenda today. Unbelievably, I managed to figure it out myself and got to all the necessary stores. It is a beautiful drive to SF - lots of high hills and mesas and forests... not much traffic either way. Well, there were lots of bikers heading to Las Vegas as I was heading to SF. This weekend is the Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally here in LV, so we've pretty much stayed away from town.

No comments: